Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Fallen Canadian Hero Laid to Rest in Ottawa

Normally, this blog has a dictinctly "Asian" vibe to it. Not today. I live in Ottawa now and today I witnessed a moving scene. I've never seen anything like it. Hundreds of people lined Rideau Street and Sussex Avenue at lunchtime to remember one person. I was almost in tears as I witnessed almost 5,000 members of the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) and other police force members march through the streets of Ottawa for the funeral of Constable Christopher Worden. Worden was brutally gunned down at a suspected drug house in the town of Hay River, N.W.T, on October 6th.


This program was given to me by a police officer as I stood along the Rideau Street watching the somber procession pass. Ottawa was Constable Worden's hometown.







This was a truely fitting farwell to a real Canadian hero.



Slain Mountie remembered as 'caring' man
CTV News

RCMP Const. Chris Worden was remembered Monday in Ottawa as "a compassionate, caring and gentle man" dedicated to his wife and excited about his role as a new father.

Worden, from Ottawa, was shot to death on Oct. 6 at a suspected drug house in the Northwest Territories.

Mounties on horseback, a pipe band and police officers in dress uniform from across the country marched through the streets of Ottawa ahead of the regimental funeral service.

Worden's widow Jodie held their infant daughter Alexis in her arms on the steps of Notre Dame Basilica on Sussex Drive as she watched the procession from Parliament Hill to the church.
Read More...



Slain Mountie praised for 'selfless acts' at packed funeral in Ottawa
CBC News

RCMP colleagues, relatives and federal politicians packed into Ottawa's oldest church Monday for the regimental funeral of a Mountie recently killed in the Northwest Territories.

Const. Christopher Worden, 30, died on Oct. 6 after responding to a call for assistance in the small town of Hay River, about 400 kilometres south of Yellowknife.

To a full house at Notre-Dame Cathedral, Const. Mike Carter, Worden's friend and colleague, gave a eulogy on behalf of the RCMP during which he described Worden's passion for his work, life and family. Worden leaves behind his wife, Jodie, and eight-month-old daughter, Alexis.
Read More...

No comments: