Thursday, October 4, 2007

Summits, Chinese Speaking Children and Cult-like English Schools


President Roh Moo-hyun and North Korea’s titular leader Kim Yong-nam pass through the Arch of Triumph in an open car during a motorcade in downtown Pyongyang, North Korea, Tuesday, the first day of the inter-Korean summit. Korea Times


So, what's the news?? Well, on the Korean Penninsula there's only one true story at the moment and rightfully so. The North/South Summit is on everyone's minds. It's such an exciting event that the Korean Ministry of Finance and Economy has released some cute caricature wallpaper for all of us to enjoy!!!

Korea Times


Should English teachers become worried about English study becoming a thing of the past in Korea? I doubt it, but this is an interesting story nontheless. We all know how "English-crazy" so many are in South Korea. The English education industry is a massive one, employing thousands of native English speakers from many countries, not to mention home-grown teachesr. As China emerges as a major player in the world economy (soon to be the next superpower), many Koreans are scrambling to give their kids yet another advantage. Chinese language fluency will hopefully be another chance for Korean children to seek their fame and fortune...and of course look after Mom and Pops when they get old...we hope! In "Wanted: Chinese Graduates to Babysit Children" in the Chosun Ilbo, it looks like young Korean students will now have another academy to stand between them and "childhood"!

Oh yeah...
An interesting tale in Japan Probe questioning wheter Nova Language School is truely a cult or not! Read for yourself....funny stuff!

It's that time of year again...time for PIFF (Pusan International Film Festival). I was living in Haeundae last year and was able to enjoy many of the festivities along the beach. It was cool. I was able to see loads of celebrities whom I have never heard of or seen before. I suppose that took a lot away from the moment, but...hmmm....there ya go! I may not have known the "famous" people I saw, but I do know one thing...Busan can be a groovy little city (4 million pop.)to live in. Chec out what the Joogang Daily says about Busan's cuisine.

No comments: